Saturday, February 12, 2011

Coffee Shops and Bookstores

I like seeing free live music, and during the Summer there are many good opportunities around here. Concert series in parks, free shows at the Mural Amphitheater in the Seattle Center, free shows at Westlake and so on, most weekends have some free shows if you look for them. During the Winter you have to look a little harder for free indoor shows, but they are out there.

Third Place Books in Shoreline has free live music on most weekends. I stopped in yesterday for a bit and there was a bluegrass band performing; after a few songs they started doing square dancing - not really my thing, but it was fun to watch and listen to.

The Hot Wire coffee shop in Shoreline had frequent free shows; it's since changed hands and become the Laughing Ladies espresso shop, but they still have free shows on occasion.

I stopped by the Lyons Den in Bothell for coffee this week and noticed that next week they have their 1 year anniversary celebration with 7 bands on Friday and 6 bands on Saturday. I think there may be a $5 cover on one of those days, but I'm not sure. Even at $5 that's a pretty good deal - less than $1 per band!

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the Lyon's Den either day, since I'm going to the Decemberists show at the Paramount on Friday and the Presidents of the USA show at the Showbbox at the Market on Saturday; there are worse problems to have than too many good options, though!

Once Summer gets here the free show options explode: the Folk Life Festival is always great, and many communities have free outdoor concert series in their parks including Edmonds, Shoreline, Bothell, and several in Seattle.

I've been trying to pay more attention and see more shows, especially free shows, so I'll blog about interesting shows coming up and post videos and pictures from those that I make it to. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment