Monday, January 31, 2011

January Retrospective

In January I saw the All Ages Project show (Kimya Dawson rules! and I enjoyed seeing Duston's band My Parade) with 3 bands; I'd seen Kimya Dawson before (CHBP and 2x at the Vera).

I saw the Veracity show with 3 bands, all new to me. (Dead Coats, the Masque) I got an some excellent audio recordings, I'll have to figure out how to post those to the web.

I saw Jon's 50th Birthday Bash with Ryan LaPlant and Wired, got some good audio recordings from this too.

I saw the Rock-N-Roll carnival with 6 bands, Hounds of the Wild Hunt, Eric Miller, Mini-Rex, Sex Offender, Badlands and Creem City, I'd seen Badlands before at a Veracity show.

I also was a table host at the Vera 10th Anniversary auction, so I got to see Thee Satisfaction - I saw them at Bumbershoot last Summer in the Sky Church. Here's a photo from the Sky Church show:
Bumbershoot 2010 Monday
Highlights: Ryan Laplant rocking our butts off solo, Kimya Dawson brilliant and unpredictable, making me cry twice, Wired's intelligently composed tightly performed suite of rock history, the Masque playing an awesome song that I missed in real time due to cooking tacos that knocked my socks off when I played back the recording, lots of talented and appealing performers that I'd never seen before, lots of music and good times.

Lowlights: the things I missed: Forgetters, the head-liners of the Rock-N-Roll Circus: RepoMen, Church for Sinners and Strong Killings, the Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger


So I made it to 4 shows and an auction in January and saw 15 bands including 12 bands that were new to me. Not a bad way to start the year!

Nothing special going on for the next few months, festivals don't start for a while yet. I don't know if I can keep up a 15 band/month pace for the next couple of months, most likely it'll drop off to 6 or 9 per month, we'll see how it goes.
The festivals should help pump the numbers up, but it'll be hard to actually get caught up with blogging about them: so many bands for days on end, an embarrassment of riches.

No comments:

Post a Comment