Saturday, April 21, 2012

Vera Benefit show featuring Futura and Seacats

Futura and Seacats did a benefit show at the Vera Project for the Vera Project on Thursday, April 19. There wasn't much notice which usually means there aren't too many volunteers. Ben likes Seacats - they were the highlight of one of his first Veracity shows and he randomly saw them again outdoors by the EMP and from then on we kept track and saw them when they came to town. We volunteered and I ended up steering (telling volunteers what to do) and lead front door (cashier, take people's money at the front door). Ben did green room/stage left security: he hung out and watched the show. Futura and Seacats 007 Seacats led things off with a fun set, I like the vocals and the musical approach. The lineup has been changing and I think this is at least the 3rd we've seen; Ben gave his approval, he enjoyed getting to see Seacats for the fourth or fifth time. After a little fiddling with equipment the Seacats put on a great set. Josh's vocals have become the backbone of the Seacats sound and I've always liked how he sings this one: It's good to see the newest lineup cranking it out and still keeping enough of the familiar elements to be recognizably the Seacats. Futura took the stage for the headlining set and blew me away. Futura and Seacats 014 I'd never heard Futura before and their opening intro with its detailed Vera call out immediately won me over, and after praising the Vera Project and some additional comments (skip ahead to 0:56 if you just want to hear the music) they dove in with some interesting percussion - a regular drum set and maybe a djembe driving a pensive introduction before a quick countdown by the drummer into the first verse of the song. I like the complexity and the separate movements, not a very common approach and it works very well for me. Futura was obviously tightly rehearsed and frequently did seamless transitions from one bit to the next, making for longer videos since I hate to interrupt the flow if they don't stop between songs (or maybe I was just too lazy to pick out the good spots for transitions, give it a view and you can make the call): The two Futura videos I've posted are both longer than ten minutes, and if you'd like to see more I have the rest of the show on YouTube as well; the last song is also worth checking out. I believe this show was a senior project for somebody, perhaps most likely the guitarist from Futura who gave the sixty second call-out to the Vera Project and Seacats in the video above, but that's just a guess. In any event it was a load of fun so I'm glad they got to do a fun show for their senior project, whoever was responsible for it. Always glad to see an old favorite like the Seacats and it's even betterr when paired with discovering a new favorite like Futura. Nicely played!

No comments:

Post a Comment